Bamford, G.T. and S. Little. 1960. Effects of Low Thinning in Altalntic White-Cedar Stands. Forest Research Notes No. 104. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 4 p.
Burke, Marianne K.; Sheridan, Philip, eds. 2005. Atlantic white cedar: ecology, restoration, and management: Proceedings of the Arlington Echo symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-91. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 74 p.
Little, S. 1959. Silvical Characteristics of Atlantic White-Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides). Station Paper No. 118. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 16 p.
Little, S. and H. A. Somes. 1965. Atlantic White-Cedar Being Elinated by Excessive Animal Damage in South Jersey. Research Note NE-33. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 3 p.
The purpose of this section is to archive significant older publications related to AWC. These documents are good sources of information, and might not be accessible without the help of a university library. Each title is accompanied by a PDFfile or website link, for reading. A bibliography of AWC references was compiled by Zimmermann (2006).
- Akerman, A. 1923. The white cedar of the Dismal Swamp. Virginia Geological
Commission and Univ. of Virginia, Charlottsville. Forestry Publ. 30. 21 p.
- We have a good photocopy; some pictures did not reproduce well
- Anonymous. 1907. A trip through the varied and extensive operations of John L. Roper Lumber Company in eastern North Carolina and Virginia. Amer. Lumberman, April 27 issue, p. 51-114.
- Baines, R. A. 1989. Prospects for white cedar: a North Carolina assessment. FOREM 13(1): 8-11. School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Duke Univ., Durham, N.C.
- Frost, C. C. 1995. Presettlement fire regimes in southeastern marshes, peatlands, and swamps. p. 39-60. IN: S. I. Cerulean and R. T. Engstrom (eds.). Fire in wetlands: a management perspective. Proc. 19th Tall Timbers Res. Conf. Tall Timbers Res. Sta., Tallahassee, Fla.
- Korstian, C. F. 1924. Natural regeneration of southern white cedar. Ecology 5:188-191.
- Probably need permission? Maybe have to pay? We have a photocopy
- Korstian, C. F. and W. D. Brush. 1931. Southern White cedar. USDA Tech. Bull. 251. 75 pp.
- Krinbill, H. R. 1956. Southern white cedar: the forgotten tree. Southern Lumber
J. 60(11): 26, 28, 36, 45.
- We have a photocopy; quality is fair – might need a better copy
- Laderman, A.D. 1989. The ecology of the Atlantic white cedar wetlands: a community profile. U.S. Fish Wildlife Serv. Biol. Rep. 85(7.21). 114 pp.
- Lilly, J. Paul. 1981. A history of swamp land development in North Carolina. p. 20-39. In C. J. Richardson (ed.). Pocosin wetlands: an integrated analysis of Coastal Plain freshwater bogs in North Carolina. Hutchinson Ross. Stroudsburg, Pa.
- Little, Silas. 1950. Ecology and silviculture of whitecedar and associated hardwoods in southern New Jersey. Yale Univ. School Forestry Bull. No. 56. New Haven, Conn. 74 pp.
- Little, S. 1959. The silvical characteristics of Atlantic white cedar.
- Motzkin, G. 1971. Atlantic white cedar wetlands of Massachusetts. Mass. Agric. Expt. Sta., Univ. Massachusetts, Amerst. Res. Bull. 731. 53 pp.
- Mylercraine and Zimmermann. 2000. BMP Manual for AWC.
- Pinchot, G. and W. W. Ashe. 1897. Timber trees and forests of North Carolina. M. I. & J. C. Stewart, Winston. N. C. Geol. Surv., Bull. no. 6. 227 p.
- Include pages related to AWC, cypress swamps, and pond pine pocosins
- Schf, Johann David. 1911. Travels in the Confederation, 1783-1784. Vol. 2. Morrison, A. J. (Translator and editor ). The Lord Baltimore Press, Baltimore, MD. Digitizing sponsor: The LuEsther T Mertz Library, the New York Botanical Garden. 344 p.
- Ward, D. B. 1989. Commercial utilization of Atlantic white cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides, Cupressaceae). Economic Botany 43(3): 386-415.
- Ward, D. B. and A. F. Clewell. 1989. Atlantic white cedar in the southern states.
Florida Scientist 52(1): 8-47.
- Whitehead, D. R. 1972. Development and environmental history of the Dismal Swamp. Ecol. Monogr. 42: 301-305.
- Probably need Permission? Maybe have to pay
- Zimmermann, George. 2006. AWC bibliography
AWC and Other Useful Links